Here’s an easy tip to speed up your PC. Windows 7 looks really pretty and what makes it pretty is the Aero Windows theme. This theme comes default with Windows 7 and it’s what makes everything look like glass, it’s pretty but unnecessary. If you take this Aero theme off, you’ll find that your PC will be faster than the day you bought it. It takes 30 seconds to apply and is so simple anyone can do it. This is the one tip that can be done on Windows 7 and XP and affects performance the most out of any tips I’ll give you.
For people that have pretty good performance and want that extra umph this will help as well. For those whose PC is absolutely dragging, this tutorial is a must. Lets begin….
1. Right-click My Computer or Computer on Desktop or in Start menu and select Properties.
2. Click Advanced System Settings on the left.
3. User Account Control might open. If so, click Continue or Yes.
4. In System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab, then click the Settings button in Performance section:
5. In Visual Effects tab of Performance Options window, click Custom. Make sure everything is unchecked and make sure you only check the following…
- Enable Desktop Composition
- Enable transparent glass
- Show thumbnails instead of icons
- smooth edges of screen fonts
- Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop
- Use Visual styles on windows and buttons
6. Then click OK twice to close Performance Options and System Properties and for changes to take effect:
If you did this correctly, Windows will look pretty much the same, you may notice little differences, but your performance should be MUCH better. If you are still dragging, do this process again and make sure ALL boxes are unchecked this time. The more unchecked the more performance you will have and the less visual style Windows will use resources for. Don’t forget to comment below.